Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Baseball Swing Is A Very Finely Tuned Instrument. It Is Repetition, And More Repetition, Then A Little More After That. -Reggie Jackson


When considering what Reggie has said about repetition, I like to think of my job as a baseball swing. I do basically the same thing every day, altering myself to the speed or curve of the balls that are thrown at us, trying to lower our error rate each time we work. Here are some of the things that I have to do everyday.

1. kick the vending machine because it is withholding candy
2. exchange a billion dollars for quarters
3. tell someone that they have to keep their dog in the car, and try to assure them that the world isn't ending
4. switch someone out of a room because it supposedly smells like smoke/has funny looking curtains/doesn't like the shower head
5. make up directions for a place i've never heard of in a town i'm new to
6. "please initial by the rate and departure date, fill out vehicle information, and sign. breakfast is from 6-9, pool is open from 8-10, checkout is 11am, there's parking along the front and the back, there are two laundry rooms, a fitness room and a jacuzzi, the wifi is free and unsecured, and i'm down here 24 hours a day to answer any questions."


I'm not going to lie tho. I love my job! It's fun to answer the phone and meet new people. We get TONS of people from different countries in here. This is what i've learned so far.

Germans: super nice, super friendly, lots of questions, little english.
French: nice sometimes, rude sometimes, always need directions everywhere
English: always super rude and in a hurry most of the time
Americans: ask a billion questions and try to get as many discounts as they possibly can. also want to know where the nearest bar is.
Australian: very good looking and tan and buff ;)


Yeah, I love working here, despite all the repetition. And despite the fact that I never get to leave on time!

One of my co-workers is late for the 11:00 shift EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. The angels literally sing when he gets here on time. Last night, he was half an hour late! Half an hour! Haha and as he walks in the first thing he says to me is:
Slow drivers need to get off the road!!
Me (in my head.): right. because a slow driver made you 30 minutes late. it doesn't even take 30 minutes to get anywhere in moab!!
Him: so i'm all like honking and waving and finally they pull over. and then APPARENTLY they were alarmed when i got out of my car and came after them with a crow bar!!!
Me (in my head): hahaha RIGHT. that last bit made your story a LOT more believable.
Me (in real life): uhhuh. i'm going home.

I love how outrageous his lie got. I wish he could just..ya know..say "sorry i'm late. here's some icecream i brought you." or something along those lines. :)


luckily, when there isn't someone to help, I get a LOT of free time! So i'm crocheting a baby blanket! I often get asked when the baby is due. hahaha as if ONLY expecting mothers would crochet a blanket. I also read! It's so great here at Moab Valley Inn.


1 comment:

  1. cute blog!
    send me your email and i will invite me to yours
    fralick.j@gmail.com
    oh, and this post was funny

    ReplyDelete